Translate

Monday, May 28, 2012

We all love prisons don't we?

We all love prisons don't we? To put the unjust behind bars is all that we are about, aren't we? Don't follow a rule and you are behind it, those great steal rods. It makes an interesting movie doesn't it? Till the time, someone you love, goes just behind those iron rods. The floor sweeps off your feet and the world doesn't exist anymore. Such are the loyalties I have towards family and friends and probably so do all of you, who read this today.

Today I will talk about Truman Capote. He wasn't able to come out of the darker side of life because he fell in love with his main protagonist, based on the killings of Nov, 1959. And frankly, how could he? I'm with him. A person who gave us a sun-lit breakfast at Tiffany's couldn't write after he wrote "In Cold blood". It's not difficult to see why though. He got so close to the murderers, their story and their confession of the crime, he couldn't come out of the shock of seeing them hang in front of him.In the righteous world, some part of him wanted that too, to see those murderers hung but a human part of him could't bear the site of this human malice. And he was never to finish a novel again or to fill our lives with another breakfast in Tiffany's and understandably so.

So, when we all live in an era of quick justice and quick life, I now start to question " The death penalty". I do believe in Karma and all that jazz as they say and it still boils my blood silly when I hear about a "Jessica Lal murder " case and the likes. But, there is another part of me that started to question the penalty! Am I getting soft? Is it the likeness and the insolvency of a Capote that makes me question that system? Honestly, I don't know.

All I know is that I could never rise after what a Capote saw. Would you be able to live through that? Do you believe that death penalty is the ultimate justice to all mankind? What else is there if not death for these murderers? Why does it still make us shed a tear to see someone hang even if it is a wretched murderer? 

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were talking about the prisons that we create for ourselves.. But this is an interesting question as well.

    ReplyDelete