Translate

Friday, December 31, 2010

"The reluctant fundamentalist"

After a longtime last night I was not able to set aside a book I was reading. I wish I had written it or write something to that effect in the future. "The reluctant fundamentalist" by Mohsin Hamid. I don't want to get in to much detail about the book because I want whoever reads this blog today, to pick or borrow a copy of the same.

There were many aspects of the book that I could relate to, for starters the constant guilt someone experiences about leaving behind a developing country for a developed country in search of better opportunities. I'm not much of a story teller right now but some day I'd like to write about this constant pain. The pain comes from a guilt that seems to en-wraps me most days and makes me think very hard about my identity. It's tough to lead a near perfect life when you think a lot.When basic necessities of life like clean water, food, shelter and electricity in our country are still a challenge, it seems to me rather indulgent to be sitting in my comfortable heated house, sometimes sipping that JD and watching news of back home, which seems like nothing less than a soap opera.

Most of us who blog today are pretty well to do or belong to a service class where we are able to meet our basic needs and sometimes even more. But even so, we are almost always talking or writing about the corruption in our country. It is not just the basic needs that are lacking but also a social character today. We produce more people in the country to be "sharks" of tomorrow rather than be the "ants" of today, which build up their own society.

Do write in with a few comments on your thoughts about the same.

I also wish whoever reads in today a happy new year in advance. I hope that in times to come, our country builds a high social character than just a high GDP number.

Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment