Translate

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Wash out at Venice


Hey, as promised I had to describe one of the little heavens on earth, Venice to you guys. Well, unfortunately the  little heaven was quite the opposite for me since it was a dull and rainy day. Well, I'll have to make a slight correction when I said I was a water baby, I am a water baby only on sunny days I guess.

Our journey started pretty much at 6.30 in the morning when we boarded our bus for Venice. The bus takes you along the northern part of Rimini, which is quite a popular place in terms of the  discos. Needless to say, I couldn't visit any of these because I was on a detox week with my mom. But as you leave the land behind, you take a boat ride in to the lagoon. Unfortunately for us, the weather was so rough, that most of us were advised to be seated inside. I wish it were a sunnier day but then I'm so sure, that my affair with Italy has just begin. The boat ride is a real pleasure if you have good company. There are beer, wine, coffee and other options on board which makes the ride a little smoother. As you get closer to the city, you notice ships and boats and needless to say, the 118 islands on which the city of Venice is built on. It's a man made miracle to say the least. The city boasts of incredible architecture and the history that goes with it. Venice has been a part of Italy only since 1866 so it has a vast history which I will not bore you with here. Lucky for us that our tour guide has been an ex-professor of economics and philosophy, so he gave me the solutions to a couple of problems which I will discuss with you after I've thoroughly thought about them. Also, what is amazing is the fashion outlets in the "gallis". Its a "Chandni chowk" which boasts of Gucci, Chanel, Ferrari and other brand outlets. Metals like gold and silver have been beaten in to jewelry which are exquisite and by far the best I've seen so far.


The glass factory is another place which is a must see. There is a small demonstration on how the glass is blown in to various forms and it is a sheer pleasure to the eye. The Venetian masks are a thing to watch for, they are typically worn during the Carnevale, carnival of venice, but have been used on many other occasions in the past, usually as a device for hiding the wearer's identity and social status. 


There is so much to see in this wonderful city that I don't think a day of my description is enough. It is also no wonder then that Antonio Vivaldi, was from this city. He was a priest who was one the greatest baroque composers of all time. My boat was incidentally called "Vivaldi" too.


You know I could go on and on but I'd still not be done. If you get a chance or you have a bucket list like I do, do visit Venice. I'm so sure I'm not done there. I'll be going there again and again. Let me know if you're ready to fall in love, and if you are let it be with Venice!!


Cheers!!

No comments:

Post a Comment