Translate

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Train to Zurich

I often wondered what it would be like to travel alone. I have often been accused of being overtly social and just so as to prove everyone right, I did always carry the company of interesting people.

But today things have changed just a bit, since the language acts like a barrier and I’m in a country where I’ve not lived the last 28 years of my life, I do not have the same privileges. What I find rather amusing is that I enjoy my company more than I had noticed before.

I’m really never alone thanks to my thoughts, my sketchbook, my novel and of course my laptop. I didn’t know it would be such a pleasure to actually write in a train. I’m in an intercity train from Stuttgart to Zurich. Yes, I’m on my way to Switzerland. Also, I don’t have to bother about little pickpocketers on the train as I would have to do in India, and so my laptop is out on my table.

My grandfather and mother, who have travelled quite a bit, use to tell me about the pleasures of exploring new places. I always use to wonder what could be so exciting about travelling alone. Well, guess, some of their genes did pass on.

It is fascinating to discover new landscapes, like right this minute as I look out of the window (Yes, the girl by the window just managed another window seat ;)), I see a stream and little hills in the background. Also, did I mention I hate rains, but right this minute, as the rain trickles down on my window, I’m not too bothered. Since it does some good by bringing out the best greens in the background and I don’t have to worry about getting wet.

I don’t know how many of you can enjoy this experience but for the girls out there, its as good as shopping at your favourite store without having to pay for it ;)

Cheers!!


1 comment:

  1. all u need in a new place is a good novel and a coffee shop :) luckily in europe, u'll never be far away from a place serving both at the same joint... personally, i think it's awesome to go on n adventure by urself... discover places... just walk about a random new town on ur own... and get lost in its newness... im glad ur finding that out Shuchi!!! Keep travelling!! :) xx

    ReplyDelete